We improve the lives of children in Oklahoma with support focused on the patients, families and visitors to The Children’s Hospital at OU Medical Center.
volunteers. OuR HEART.
We are The Children’s Hospital VOLUNTEERS. Established in 1973, our purpose is to make a difference for kids at the hospital. Originally a volunteer auxiliary, longstanding programs are valued and expected by our patients and families.
It is through the dedication of VOLUNTEERS, our partnership with The Children's Hospital at OU Medical Center, and the generosity of our community that we have grown our programs and impact. So much has changed since the 1970s but the heart of our organization is the same--our VOLUNTEERS.
We seek opportunities to enhance and expand programs of The Children’s Hospital VOLUNTEERS--refining what we do and pursuing best practice programs from top children’s hospitals and developing them here in Oklahoma. So often we do this best through collaborating with our amazing community. Together we give of ourselves… to help kids be kids, when they need it most.
history & accomplishments
- Our Toy Cart began delivering toys and our Patient Pals have helped kids since the 1970s
- A partnership with Junior League of Oklahoma City began in the 1980s
- Amazing pet therapy volunteers joined the team in the 1980s
- Puppy Love surgery pups were first given out to surgery patients in the 1990s
- The Zone (Aikman’s EndZone) opened with help from Teammates for Kids in “old Children’s” in 1998
- Support from NICU Cuddler volunteers began in 2003
- Kohl’s Cares outreach programs began in the 2000s
- Volunteer placements expanded when The Children's Hospital moved in 2007
- The Zone reopened in its current location in 2010
- A partnership started with Wiggle Out Loud family music festival in 2015
- The Junior League of Oklahoma City began sponsoring The Prom in 2015
- Music Therapy started as a pilot project in 2016
- More than 17,500 patients, siblings and family members visited The Zone in 2016
- More than 350 special events, parties and celebrity visits were funded and coordinated in 2016
- We opened an Endowment with the Oklahoma City Community Foundation in 2016
- The year ended with more than 280 full time volunteers and 1,200 community volunteers in 2016
- Renovations brought a Microsoft Wall, sensory room, splatter room and “In The Zone TV” studio in 2017
- Music Therapy became a full time program in 2017
- Targa (a sweet golden retriever) became the first-in-Oklahoma facility therapy dog, thanks to Edmond North BALTO’s support in enhancing our “Paws for Purpose” facility and volunteer pet therapy program in 2017